Go To Top Of Page
|In 1853, Mrs. Anne Troutman, a widow, moved to a location that forks
with the Charlotte Road and a road that goes in the direction of the Catawba
River. Nothing there but "virgin forest". Her two sons, Sydney and
Jacob were lads just about grown. They built the home that became
the foundation of the town of Troutman.
The sons were workers in wood and iron. Their intention was to
ply their trade so they built a shop and began making wagon and carriages.
Troutman Town Hall
||In 1861, the railroad was built from Charlotte to Statesville. As it
happened, a camp for construction workers for the railroad was located
near the shop of the Troutman boys. It came to be known in railroad circles
as "Troutmans". After a bridge was completed to open up the road
to Statesville, a small depot was erected and the station was formally
|The conditions at that time were quite difficult for starting the business.
To make a wagon or buggy meant beginning at the root of a tree and taking
the necessary raw material. Then, they had to go to Charleston or Richmond
for the iron which had to be hammered into intricate pieces for correct
fittings. There were no railroads or sawmills in the county at this
time. The process was infinitely slow but it was necessary and furnished
steady and lucrative employment.
||In later years, after the railroad had been sold
or changed ownership, the small fork in the road had become to be named
"Troutman". One of the reasons the name "Troutman" became known regionally
was because the old Richmond & Danville Railroad marked the destination
address as "Troutman".
This is a brief history of the early days of Troutman. For a more detailed
history, go to Troutman